Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Non-fiction isn't boring (week #8)

I'm not a person that rushes to read Non-Fiction to be honest because I have always felt them to be boring and boggled down by facts. However, there are some non-fiction that I have found to be beneficial. Now that I've gotten that off my chest, from reading the two articles about non-fiction, I have come to realize that I have treated non-fiction like a bad child. I never noticed until reading these that during a RA interview with a patron, I default to Fiction. But now, I will start to ask all the patrons' interests, and I might find a non-fiction option that suits their needs.


I think these articles have enlightened me to the fact: non-fiction can be just as enjoyable as fiction. Also, as Catherine Ross suggests in her article, "Reading Non-Fiction for Pleasure...," start thinking about non-fiction in terms of appeal factors which we talked about in week #3. Also, Ross gives the warning of being aware of the nonfiction counterparts of popular fiction genres.
From reading "Borderlands: Crossing between Fiction and Nonfiction in Reader's Advisory,"  Jennifer Brannen stresses that non-fiction and fiction are very interchangeable, and that the appeal factor crosses freely between them.

No comments:

Post a Comment